Monday, July 26, 2004

Could Technorati™

... be a great campaigning tool?

As I'm new to blogging, I was staggered to find someone half way round the world referring to squarea. I had told absolutely no-one about it. Or so I thought. I'd imagined I could lurk here safely undiscovered forever, just experimenting with blogging tools and kindergarten html. I rather liked it that way. No intention of going public.

I put up links. Harmless fun. But some people I link to use Technorati™. It reports to them on who's been linking. And so they dropped by to see what goes on here.

So, I figure, would anyone. Give it a go. See if you can get anyone's attention.

I don't know how it works, but it does. One of the people I linked to mentioned this site; another hotlinked my name on a comment I'd left days earlier on his.

Is it bad manners to link to someone else without asking? They don't have to acknowledge it, but if they're using Technorati, they'll see you. Seems like a good way to get the message out there.

A bit like Googlebombing, but less antisocial. Anyway, I wouldn't want to link without good reason. The Technorati potential is a bonus.

Technorati is free. Is it too good to be true? I'm a natural cynic. If anyone knows of any linky-dink disadvantages, please tell me asap.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not quite magic, but we designed it to make it appear that way. ;-) Thanks for the incredibly kind words. Please keep the feedback coming, and give our new look and feel a try (it literally just launched, I'm writing you right after I got off the phone with our VP of Engineering telling me of the launch) and give our new politics section a look. Thanks again for the feedback, and I hope we do you proud...

Dave Sifry
CEO, Technorati
dsifry at technorati dot com

26 July 2004 at 13:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home