Thursday, August 19, 2004

hiatus

I won't be posting for a week or so, as I'm off to France (part of Abroad).

I've been silting up with unposted comments, trying to get my facts straight before I post. Mindful of the reproach that people read blogs as much for stories as for facts, here's some reading to be going on with.

Cathartidae describes going into KFC and not finding a seat. I keep coming across this sort of story, and have no way of knowing whether it tells us more about Korea or about the teller. Are these rudenesses there because one's looking for them, or are they endemic? Andi's story about the loan of the umbrella (scroll down to "Mourning for me?" on 17 Aug, because I can't link directly) is a refreshing counter to this sort of thing.

Oranckay considers the sins of the fathers. (By the way, the novelist he mentions there, Yi Mun-yol, has an excellent book The Poet available in English translation. It explores, among other things, the nature of poetic responsibility. The Poet grows up under the cloud of his grandfather's defection.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home